Thursday, May 3, 2012

Travel-sty Ball

I just couldn't help myself. I was thinking about a little fellow that could one day be a candidate for travel ball. It pained me to think that his parents might put him into this. Travel ball is for those budding young baseball players (it is for many sports now, but I'll limit this to baseball)to join with a group that is mixed with players that have the real skills and to players good enough(and maybe not so good enough), but much needed to the team, because their mommas and daddies got the dough ($$$). These travel teams play maybe 115 games a year where a local league plays only 20. --- I speak from the experience of a guy that grew up loving the game. I wore out tennis balls, wiffle balls, steps, windows, doors, and whatever during the off-season unless I was playing a different sport. Americans have been sold a bill of goods and it is a travesty. I played with several guys that did make it to the pros. While I chose not to go (pro-haha), the 20 game schedules didn't hurt their chances. In fact, it enhanced their opportunity to play longer careers when they were actually getting paid to do so. Think about that. Junior and you are spending a bunch of money for him to play 115 game seasons, meanwhile taking time off the career he could have in the future causing wear and tear on an immature body. Finally, it is a travesty that travel ball has become a god in the way that people spend their time and their money. Many are hooked because they are chasing a dream. Others think this is the only way to do it. Listen, if your kid is good enough, then he is good enough. If he is tearing up the local league, it will make it to the papers and to the scouts. Save his arm. Save his body for when he can make the big bucks. Take your super-star phenom and just say no to travel ball! When the pros bring in a young phenom, they take it slow with him. They monitor his innings, so that he doesn't get worn-out.
Use that standard. Your kid isn't even an adult. Save his body. If you don't, who will.---I'm out.