Saturday, August 18, 2012

Got Your Back, Get Mine

It's no secret that it's not okay to attack any group today, but Christians. I absolutely believe we should not attack our fellow man with verbiage, even while we maintain differences. "Go along, get along" doesn't mean you have to agree with me, nor does it mean that I have to agree with you. If you're group is into blindly jumping off cliffs, then I'm probably not going to hang with you. I may disagree with you, but I ain't your daddy. So, rock on. (I digress.) ---There is another current that runs beneath this whole tolerance/intolerance thing. When a christian is verbally assaulted, slandered or even slaughtered sometimes by the media's big club, social media or whoever; they are doubly attacked if a friend gets their back. Recently, a sports media guy put some tweets out that subtly made me aware that he was a believer. Prior to this, I had no idea. It wasn't in your face, but he shared simple things. I thought that was pretty cool. However, an atheist didn't think it was cool that this man just simply expressed some things from his christian perspective. So, this guy attacks him and basically tells him to shut up (no free speech for christians). The christian responded that he respectfully disagreed. ---My first thoughts were to affirm my (new-found) brother. But then, I thought of the response I've gotten recently about jumping in this melee. I thought, if I get this guy's back then the conversation may heat up even though I speak respectfully. I think of what others have said recently that make it sound like we're hate-mongers for even replying. While I certainly don't believe in arguing with the not-yet believers, I do think I should take up for my guy. You see, christians are known for shooting their own. But they also leave their own to be crucified in the public arena. That is where we have gone wrong. We've allowed the media to shut us up. We can do this respectfully. There are christians that don't have home-training or social skills and should keep their mouths shut and their fingers off the key board. Hey, play with the keyboard, but for goodness' sake don't push "send"! Gratefully, we do have some that can respectfully defend the faith. Pray for them to rise up. Christians are servants of the Most High God. We love God and we love people. That's how we roll. It's ignorant to attack christians. It's like cutting off the hand that feeds you. (As I've written many times, we are the ones that build hospitals, show up first in Disaster Relief, bring food, etc.)---So when those intolerant of believers go on their rant, if you have the skills get your brother's back; if you lack the ability to speak the truth in love, then pray. The opposition might back off when they know we'll speak up for one another. Maybe they won't. But at least they won't have free reign to say whatever expecting no comeback. After all is said and done we only really care about pleasing God, but while we're here; it won't hurt to get your brother's back.