Friday, August 10, 2012

Uncomfortable

All through the Bible God calls his people out to do something. He calls them out from a place to a promise. He expects them to trust Him with the unknown. God called Abraham, Moses, Jeremiah to uncomfortable tasks and places. When the children of Israel were about to cross over into the Promised Land, it was anything but comfortable. It was called the Promised Land, not the Comfort Zone. They would first have to cross a raging river, and then they would have to fight to conquer the land. God is looking for people to trust Him even with the stuff He has given to them. It's a place of trust, faith, dependence on God. It is often a little foggy and unclear, but that is the deal. We trust in the promises of God. When was a time God asked you to do something that was comfortable? (I'll answer for you: rare, if ever.)I've shared Jesus with total strangers, new acquaintances to my grouchy old uncle. These were not comfortable situations. Yet, when we are obedient, we get to see God do might things first-hand. Abraham was given a son which Jesus would eventually be a descendant. Moses would set the captives free. I've been allowed to lead many people to Christ, because I got uncomfortable. So, please, if your excuse is ever, "I'm uncomfortable," don't tell me.