Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Lonely in the Crowd


Not long ago a couple found my wife on Facebook and started just catching up. We knew them in the past, but never really hung out. Well Teresa tells me one night that this couple would like to go out to eat or something like that. Honestly, I went into the mode that I bet a lot of us fall into...I started thinking of why I couldn't do this---not because I didn't want to hang out with them. I think I just knew I would be pretty busy the rest of the week. Yet, all I was going to do that night was chill out (which is cool, we do need to chill at times). But then T told me that they had already asked her a couple of times; so I was like wow (sensing a need). So, I said "sure." Let me preface the rest of the story,by saying I am no-way better than anyone. I just learned something from this that I think too valuable to not pass along. I believe it is a core problem with our culture. From our discussion that night, I gathered that they have been around a good group of people for 10to15 years, and seemed to have no friends. I've got to admit, that when this hit me I was heart broke for them; and God did what only God can do, and pointed out to me that this is way too common in our society. These were good people that like to do fun stuff,yet no one from their "crowd" truly knows them. I thank God that they took a proactive step by getting us off the couch and out of the house. People, we all need friends. Are there people in your crowd that are lonely? Look out for them. Give up a "chill" night and hang out. It won't kill you, and it may save someone else. And who knows...you might make a friendship! Friendships are essential to real life.