Thursday, March 31, 2011

Why I Don't Drink

Why I Don’t Drink
This was a blog I had to write. I was compelled to do so by all the glorification that I see for hard liquor and the more milder brews. First of all, I judge no person for their attitude about the drink. I know, I know I’ve been raised in what was formerly the “Bible belt.” So I do take that in consideration. But I also take in the consideration of all the good that the consumption (especially the over consumption) of alcohol has done
What does the Bible say about the consumption of wine, beer, etc.? You’ve read it. It does speak against getting drunk, so you don’t do something stupid. It does identify beer as “a brawler.” And yes, Jesus did make wine for the wedding party as his first miracle. Were they over-indulging at that wedding? I bet they probably did. So why not just be a “sipping saint”?
This is about me. Why don’t I drink? I ain’t yo daddy, so I’m really not concerned with what you do, because you are going to do what you’re going to do anyway. Rock on.
Simply put, I don’t want to be a stumbling block to someone else. Who knows I might be able to drink a couple brewskies at the beach with no problem. But there may be someone watching me, modeling my behavior that can’t handle just a couple. As a pastor I have seen the devastation that drinking causes to homes. Families are torn apart, because someone has to have their six-pack or case; and then turn into a completely different person. People will hop in their cars and drive drunk and change (ruin in many cases) the lives of innocent bystanders. Wives will be without their husbands and vice-versa while their loved one spends “time-out” in jail after getting a DUI.
I grew up in an era when almost every adult male of influence in my life was committed to the drink. Most of them managed to function in life, but some had marital issues probably associated with the drink. With marital issues come child-raising issues. Alcohol has put the “dys” into dysfunctional families on many occasions, and it is so unneeded.
I know my name at the end of the night. I don’t pray to the porcelain gods. I don’t have to worry who might have been killed in a car wreck because of my habit.
Finally, my conscience will be clean, in that, I didn’t teach anyone to drink (who then went out and got a dui, ruined their marriage, made a tough life on their kids or killed someone with their car).
For all the great advertisements for beer & other liquor, for all the FB pages glorifying drinking....THIS DISADVERTISEMENT IS FOR YOU. Thumbs down. Let me wash it down with this reminder: this is my stance and I’m not looking to be popular. I’m not picking a battle, because that's not how I roll. I hope to be a positive influence on just one person. ---I want folks to know, there is another side. Please drink in silence. It might save a life.