Friday, May 27, 2011

Reflections of Graduation

I recently had a nephew and niece graduate high school and I was able to make the trip to see them graduate. Both were different high schools and an hour apart on different nights. They've probably met each other once at a wedding. They will both be attending the same college. It's such a large campus, I wonder if they'll run into each other even though their last names are within 4 letters of each other (Johnston and McVay). Yes, like everyone we sat through the speeches we hear at graduations (I admit I was going blah-blah-blah in my head on a few, all the while understanding it was there first and only opportunity to say much of the same thing said at all graduations.).It is tough to say something different when it comes your turn. ---However, one kid managed to say something that got me. Funny, he was the most monotone of all the speakers. He started out his speech saying how he didn't want to give a speech and how he waited until the last minute to prepare it; and even admitted googling and you-tubing speeches. But then he said something that got me. He bragged (appropriately) on how their school had rose to do good deeds in tragic situations. On complimented on how they unified to do good in desperate times. ---And then it struck me, why is it we wait for desperate situations to do good to our neighbor? Why does tragedy have to strike for us to do good to our neighbor? ---As Christians we should take the lead. Do good to others because that's how we roll. Do it now and don't wait for something bad to happen. Any sinner can do good when life has fallen into the crapper around them. We should be salt and light even when it's not raining disaster all around us.