Thursday, December 1, 2011

Conservative Rant

I'm not big on classifications, but I guess I fit the conservative mold. I like to think things through, and not simply believe them just because someone that looks like me or was born in the same part of the country believes whatever. ---Recently, I listened as a political pundit made comments about liberals and conservatives, and he struck a chord with me. He said that liberals feel like they are the only ones that care about the poor. I have to agree that is the way the media portrays the liberal vs conservative bent. Allegedly, conservatives are for the rich and powerful and don't give a flip about the poor. Consequently, the public shouldn't even listen to conservatives because they are terrible. ---May I please share "the way I think", and it is the way several people that I know think? The conservatives that I know are often but not always Christians. The ones that I know: help at places like the Pregnancy Resource Center (you know when a young couple or just a young lady go for help with an out-of-marriage pregnancy takes place. They are given all kinds of free stuff and guidance to pregnancy and nurturing. Love.); Family Promise (where families in transition go for help. Love.); Council on Aging ( where elderly folks are helped to live their lives with dignity); Salvation Army (where the poor are ministered to in multiple ways) Florida Baptist Disaster Relief Team ( where they often beat the Red Cross on location to help folks in time of need. Also Red Cross); Living Truth Church (this whole year a different person gave $100 a week to be handed out to people or people helping people in the local community). These are just some of the conservatives out there not bragging, but doing what they do either in Jesus' name or because it is the right thing to do. So, please don't say conservatives don't care about the poor. Their (our) actions prove otherwise.---Here's the thing. I do believe that if a man/woman works hard for a full day's pay, then they should be entitled to as much of that pay as possible. Conservatives don't believe in the redistribution of wealth. Somehow this gets mistaken as if they don't care. Picture a guy working a hot, smelly, dangerous-even job. Should we take a huge portion of his check and pay for the laziness or mistakes of others. I'm pretty sure most of us would agree if a guy works hard for the money, he should get his money. Many of the hard-working people I know are generous. They will give the shirt off their back to help someone in need. ---The problem is greed. Those making the most aren't necessarily bad people. And many of them are giving. ---The problem lies in two people. 1. The person who won't work for food. 2. The person that cheats and mistreats the poor to get rich. The Bible addresses both of these folk. (I'll not go into preaching mode.) ---Then there is the whole right-to-life thing. Yes, I believe a child should not be put to death in the womb, because somebody made a stupid decision. God said, "Choose life." However, once this act has been committed, once again the conservatives that I know are there for the people that made a poor choice. ---The other hotspot is homosexuality. I'll address this from a conservative Christian perspective, because I understand there are conservative gays. We all have friends and relatives that have adopted the homosexual lifestyle. While as a conservative Christian (again without preaching) I totally disagree with homosexuality from biblical understanding. I don't hate the people. I hope for the people. I'm definitely not into name-calling of any kind. --- We may respectfully disagree on any or all of these issues, but I don't (nor do I think most conservatives) mindlessly pick a belief due to culture or region. ---I will defend the right for the liberal to speak, and I choose not to put them in a certain category. Just please don't be misguided by the media on what a true conservative believes. Final note: I know there are extremes on the left and the right. As much as it pains me to say, they too have a right to be heard in public. ---So remember, next time you're in a crisis; there is a good chance a conservative will be the one that comes to help.