Saturday, December 21, 2013

Closer to the Truth

I’m not a Christian because I’m from the South. Some may think that I had a better chance of having an encounter with Christ being from the “Bible-belt”, but then again I had just as good a chance to encounter some real weirdos also. I probably like sweet-tea and a lot of fried foods, because I’m from the South; but I’m going to say that is where the stereo-type ends. ---It was at a Christian school that I first remember hearing about Jesus and understanding my need for a Savior. It was there, as well that the Holy Spirit drew me in. The teacher simply taught the Bible and shared Jesus. She didn’t cram anything down our throats. There were plenty of other folks in my life and elsewhere trying to brainwash me or urge me to go the other way.---It’s almost laughable to think that people think Christians want to be some “goody-two-shoes”, when in truth we are merely sinners saved by grace. We still fight the battle with the old self.--- It wasn’t at school that God saved this eight year old boy. It was walking down the street of my own neighborhood. No one harassed me. No one pushed me to accept Christ. God drew me in, and I said yes. My life has not been the same. ---I’m learning that I need to drop stereo-types of others if I want to have a civil discussion about my faith. I’m hoping that folks will drop the standard stereo-types of Christians as well. We still may not agree, but we may get closer to the truth. Listen to these gracious words of God to the prophet Jeremiah concerning Israel’s captivity back in the day: You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back from captivity.”-Jer.29:13-14b. ---The same goes today for those captive to sin. Don’t listen to me, just sincerely seek the LORD. Take Him at His word. I trust God’s Word that you will find Him. He is not hiding.