Monday, February 3, 2014

I Don't Know

For some things “I don’t know” simply is not a good-enough answer. Shortly before Jesus would be betrayed and nailed to a cross, he had a triumphant entry into Jerusalem. The people were praising him, singing “Hallelujah” and all that. He enters the temple and cleans house a little bit. Then, he heals all the blind and lame people that are brought to him. He then began to teach those that were eager to listen to the amazing Jesus. But the chief priests and elders interrupted the teacher to ask where his authority was from. ---Jesus answered their question with a question of his own. They were stunned. He told them that if they answered his question, then he would give them a straight answer. This should have been simple. All they had to do was simply answer his question, and then he would tell them by what authority he did what he did. ---Instead, the guys fumbled the ball. Honestly, they really didn’t want to know the truth. So, the answer often given when we already know the truth, but don’t want to say it is “I or we don’t know.” If there is one thing we need to be sure about, it is eternity. Don’t you think? Don’t you know? ---I’ve been blessed with the opportunity to share the Good News about Jesus Christ with many people one on one. Sometimes they accept Christ right then. Sometimes they have to do some more thinking. Sometimes they flat out reject the offer of salvation. However, I am saddest the most when I ask someone who has plainly heard the Gospel “Since you believe about Jesus, God, the death, burial and resurrection; why not accept Him now as Lord and Savior?” And they respond with “I don’t know.”--- The chief priests and elders had seen enough. We’ve seen enough. In fact, Paul writes “man is without excuse.” I don’t think “I don’t know” is going to make the cut. Jesus entered the temple courts, and, while he was teaching, the chief priests and the elders of the people came to him. "By what authority are you doing these things?" they asked. "And who gave you this authority?" Jesus replied, "I will also ask you one question. If you answer me, I will tell you by what authority I am doing these things. John's baptism--where did it come from? Was it from heaven, or from men?" They discussed it among themselves and said, "If we say, 'From heaven,' he will ask, 'Then why didn't you believe him?' But if we say, 'From men'--we are afraid of the people, for they all hold that John was a prophet." So they answered Jesus, "We don't know." Then he said, "Neither will I tell you by what authority I am doing these things.---Matthew 21:23-27