Saturday, November 20, 2010

Secret Ambition

Growing up, I played a lot of baseball, so there is no wonder that I would have an ambition of playing MLB. In my high school years I polevaulted on our track team. There was no wonder I fantasized about going to the Olympics in that sport. Then we go to college, we get married and we can often fall into the trap of just trying to make it...leaving any kind of dreams behind...just getting by without any ambition. Life happens. Ambition can be a good thing or a bad thing. It can serve to motivate, or we can serve it. Reading an article made me pause and consider my ambition. Life changed when God called me to preach. My ambitions have become His ambition, the two are forged together as one. Is the ambition for the biggest, greatest church? This is where ambition can get dangerous. If it is about something that says "look at me", then ambition has run afoul. After thinking about this one, I would have to say that God has called me out of my comfort zone, and my secret ambition is to help call other people out of their comfort zone into the place God designed them for in the first place. What is your ambition? Did you give up on it? Did you get side-tracked? Think about it.