Saturday, February 19, 2011

Grace, Aaron

Aside from my regular time in God's Word, I am following a plan to read the Bible through in a year. I'm now in one of those "dreaded" sections that one is tempted to speed-read through...Leviticus. It is filled with Laws God had placed on Israel to guide them and many of them are very specific, and a lot of rituals are involved. Of course, these rituals were meant to train the people, and to give them a shadow of things to come. Anyway, I'm reading in Leviticus 7:35 and it was talking about special offerings that were brought before the Lord; and it talked about the portion that belonged to Aaron, the priest (brother of Moses). It sounded very generous, and all I could not help thinking about Aaron, and how undeserving he was. When I think of Aaron, three things come to mind and the first two aren't good. First of all, (which didn't happen first, but stuck in my mind first) he was in conflict with Moses and undermined his authority which ticked God off and disrupted the unity of the people (bad things happened after this: God opened up a hole in the ground and helped a bunch of people fall into it.) The second was right after Israel's liberation from Egypt, Aaron built the golden calf for the rebellious people while Moses was in conference with God on top of the mountain. ---Incredible! And yet God let's Aaron have such a high ranking and let's him enjoy the "fruit" of God's labor. If that isn't grace, I don't know what is. Grace is simply giving someone what they don't deserve. ---I am thankful for God's amazing grace in my life. Should I be amazed to find this picture in Leviticus? Maybe. I'll keep reading. :)