Monday, September 7, 2009

Loose Connection


I've not left. Teresa and I took a much needed vacation, mixed with some work. We really appreciate everyone filling in the gaps. A special thanks goes out to AD who has to deal with "melt-downs" when I'm away. (And when I'm away, they usually happen.)the internet connection was weak where we were at, plus I limited my connectivity since I was attempting to relax. That is hard to do, isn't it? It is so hard to not stay connected. Therefore where there is a will, there is a way. We took the lap-top just in case. The little cottage (no frills)we were staying promised no internet, and that was fine. But of course, we checked it out, and I got a tiny signal in the room. We could get on just long enough to check a couple of things. However, by the end of the week we had moved the computer outside in search of that signal of connection we were yearning for. We had a relaxing time and were communicating well with one another, but we were missing the connection of friends and family. We found the wireless connection was coming from a tall condo across the street from our quaint cottage! You know what we did. We went pool-side and surfed the internet to our little hearts content. Yes, I look for a lesson in all parts of life; and found another one in this situation. Connection is important and we will do whatever it takes. The book on LTC is that we are great at welcoming people. We hear that from guests all the time. However, the stats show we don't always connect people real well. My prayer is for that to change. Do whatever it takes to help that connection take place. New people come because they need others to get connected with. Sure, be friendly, but more than that give up some space and welcome people in---really let them in. Give them your place at the table.