Saturday, April 7, 2012

Loving and learning through garbage pick-up

It started out as a prayer-walk for the community, but then we (my wife and I) had the litter-pokers and garbage bags from the earlier planned trash pick-up that was rained out; so we thought why not? If we were going to love the city by walking 7 miles down Highway 90 picking up trash, we could walk 4 miles around Spencerfield picking up trash even though no one would know about. I must admit God loved us into doing this, because prayer-walking was just fine for me. But it was awesome to be engaged with God in this, because when I would want to pass a little piece of paper (and that temptation will come after a mile or two) something inside of me wouldn’t let me do it. You see, I was trash-picking in Jesus’ name, and (allow me to misuse grammar here) He don’t play! While it was a different kind of spiritual experience and getting closer to God, there was a lighter side to things that Teresa and I learned about people and trash.
Those lessons came from the things we found and how we found them scattered or not.
Beer cans and beer bottles ranked near the top with cigarette packages. I’m not the judge, but what does that say? Mike’s Lemonade was the top as far as specific beverage. All of these to only one trashy diet coke drinker. Burger King customers, well you were #1 when it came to thinking Spencerfield was a garbage dump. Yes, good Christian chicken eaters we did run across one cup from CFA. As a now veteran trash picker-upper there were a few things I would appreciate if people would not throw out (besides, of course everything: wait until you get home): newspaper, straws and bottles (particularly if you bust them). Newspaper gets wet and well, you really can’t pick it up after that. Straws...come on. We must have had to stop and pick up a thousand straws. Really! Broken glass...we did our best, but you can’t pick it all up. I hope no one runs barefoot out there. Then there was a couple of spots where trashy people obviously just stopped the car and emptied their junk. That should be a $500 fine for sure. ---Overall, it was a humbling experience, but it did make me think about the side of the road a little more. I think it would be good for everyone to walk a mile or two and pick up trash at least one time. And if you do, go in the Spirit for a unique experience!