Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Questions about Giving

Recently I had heard two different people had a question about tithing, giving to God and the church and about how much...all that. So, I thought, if a couple of people had a question maybe I could help answer. First of all, those that know me know that I don't talk about money much at all. I gave my heart to the LORD at 8 years old and starting giving at least 10% as soon as I started earning an income. (My current goal is to give more than my mortgage, and after I reach that goal, I'll seek God's guidance.) Of course, I began tithing because that's what I was taught at church. While many will refer to the Old Testament for the 10% tithe as a minimum, the Jews really gave like 23.3% once they were done with all their offerings according to the Law. But we're not under the Law. So what principles do we use to give? What does the New Testament say? Before we go too far, you do know that it all belongs to God and you aren't taking any of it with you, right? We're just managing the portion God gives us. 1 Cor.16:1-2 Paul writes---Now about the collection for God’s people: Do what I told the Galatian churches to do. 2 On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made. ---They were taking up a collection on Sunday's as they met for the purpose of ministry. He put the onus on the person to set aside the proper portion from their income in giving. It doesn't say 10%, although that's not a bad place to start and we get that idea from the Old Testament. But you will find quickly the NT isn't so legalistic considering we're under grace. You'll also see Jesus is a little tougher on us since we're under grace. Since we've freely received, we ought to be free givers. Jesus said that you'll receive from God by the measure you are given. You can read what you want in that, but I see it like this. If I give to God from a spoon, He'll use that to give back to me. If I give to God out of a bushel, He'll use that to give back to me. Caution: don't give to receive, because that's the wrong motive. Give out of love, because you want to. Giving is a heart issue. If you're worried about giving from gross or net income, then you need to check your heart. (IF you were offended by that statement, then there's a sign you might have an issue.)When God saved you by grace, He didn't take a second thought about all the crap you had done. In other words, don't be getting all cheap on God. Finally, pray about it. Ask God, don't ask me. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. Pray about it, and live with a clear conscience. Finally, there's that NT verse about God loving hilarious givers. That's pretty cool.