Saturday, September 24, 2011

Trainable, Coachable, Hungry

What's missing? I watched a short segment on the making of a great Quarterback. It was a pretty cool behind the scenes look that went all the way back to when the guy was in college. He was tall, skinny and slow. Worst of all, he was seventh on the depth chart when he started college. (That means 7th string! Not second or third, but seventh!) He got appendicitis and lost almost thirty pounds, but didn't give up. In a time when most young men would have just quit, he took counsel with the on campus adviser. He would go many days to this man seeking counsel and encouragement. He told him that he wanted to be the Michigan QB. His sophomore season, Tom Brady went on to become the UM quarterback. (He has since done some pretty good things in the NFL.) ---But what got me about the story was what the counselor said about Brady. He was trainable, coachable and hungry. He went to that (in this case)emotional resource for strength and encouragement almost every day. ---I couldn't help thinking about what goes in to being a champion. Are we trainable? Can a person listen and follow instruction, and adapt? Are we coachable? Will one submit to the leader of the team?---For me, these were easy checks since I grew up in sports and following the leader, listening, learning. One of my favorite sayings has been "A good player always adjust." But the third thing was "hunger." In my spiritual life how hungry am I? Can I not wait to wake up and spend time with God? Can I not wait to hear from God? This was a tougher box to check. I sought God out in prayer. I had to confess that I had fallen into default status of sometimes going through the motions. God heard my simple prayer and answered. He restored my hunger for Him instantly. ---Perhaps, you have been distracted or knocked off course for some reason. Seek God and you will find Him. Give Him the choice time of day. ---I read a very sad commentary on Israel in Isaiah 43:22 where they had gotten tired of God. Whoa! If we are not hungry for God, then that is problematic. If you're not hungry, then you're not eating. And if you're not eating, you're not growing.
LORD, I am hungry for You and I want more of You.