Thursday, September 8, 2011

Aging Gracefully

Ugh! I just realized it's my last day in my forties.(and I'm not talking about the temperature) Such times (half a century) cause those of us with reflective tendencies to do just that...reflect. Today, polishing off Sunday's sermon and sending stuff out to the small group leaders for next week. Checking the calendar and making sure we're on target with the things the church is up to. Making final preparations for a wedding this weekend. Getting ready for my youngest daughter's wedding in a couple of weeks. Talking with a fellow pastor about a joint project next Easter. Pondering what God has in store for the next few years. Hmmm. Deep stuff. I still feel 35ish, but my body reminds me that this is not true. I have a new respect for those that have gone on ahead of me gracefully. I'm not sure I can do this gracefully. Yuck.Tomorrow is coming. I'll accept it. I'll assume my position as gray-haired counselor and advisor to those that will listen. I still might try to get in a pick-up basketball game, but won't try to dunk any more. Dang. Hey, I'm satisfied with the opportunities God has given me to this point. From here on out it will be different types of opportunities, and what lies ahead is promising. I'm reminded of what the Preacher in Ecclesiastes said "this is what matters, fear the Lord and obey God." There is nothing new under the sun. I just want to finish strong.
Well, guess I'll go change the spark plugs in the Sub.
Oh, in this just in after I had written this somewhat depressing blog: God reminds me that I'm not from around here. I am buried with Christ in his death, I am resurrected with Christ in his resurrection, and I am seated with him in the heavenlies. Bam! I'm not from around here. Just passin' through!