Friday, July 23, 2010

Hang Out or Work Out


I listened over a year ago on sport-talk radio about how a sportscaster ran into Kobe Bryant at dinner on a Saturday (in the off season). He asked if he wanted to go hang out. Kobe told him no, because he still had to go work out. This guy was so committed to winning that he was disciplined even in the offseason. He couldn't even have a "cheat night" where he didn't work out.---I bring this up, because I was reading where all-star basketball guard Chris Paul tweeted something similar yesterday. It went something like" gotta get my work out in, so I can be the best." What if we were so disciplined as followers of Jesus? What if we were hardcore consistent in our prayer life? What if we were hardcore in studying the Scriptures in a way that we know God more clearly, and grow spiritually? What if we were not content to sit on the bench of Christian service and watch others serve?---Oh, I know everyone that reads my blog is not an NBA fan, but Kobe's team won the NBA championship...he played pretty much the last half of the year with a broken finger on his shooting hand. He had his eye on the prize, and wasn't going to make an excuse.