Thursday, July 1, 2010

Raisin Yungins from the NotSoPerfect Dad


Blessed. That is what I am. The old guys at church used to give my kids peppermint candies after church. They stared in amazement that my kids would sit in the second row from the front and not make a peep. At the time, I didn't think much about it. But that time has passed, and I'm not sure if kids today can make it in the second row from the back a whole Sunday morning service. ---Why am I putting myself out here in crazy talk? Well, maybe it will help some young parents. People do ask me all the time, how we raised such good kids. I'm sure what they mean is "well-behaved" kids. None of us are righteous. ---I'm going to keep this simple, because I think it is. Besides having the #1 Mother year in and year out (and that ain't no bologna, Teresa has been an awesome mom to our kids); the next thing would be plain ole discipline from the very beginning. We didn't have to beat our kids or lock them in a closet...heck, we parented before "time-out" was even around. However, we would spank or put them in the corner when necessary. We would not yell at them (absolute no-no! Once you start that you can't stop. A wise man once told me "If you are yelling you are losing.") The key was we started at the beginning. When you tap a child on the hand at the earliest stages that means you don't have to whooop (chill out spelling queen, I meant three o's for effect)them hard when they get older. Earlier is better! Later, Beware! Are you getting me? If you wait too long, you can't whip them hard enough. That is my theory, and I'm sticking to it. Don't take their crap! You are the parent. What you say goes!---I hope this helps. Let me reiterate, I'm only sharing because I've been asked many times. ---In the mean time, there is plenty of time for my kids to screw up...but they are adults now. Here's to hoping they stay true to their God!---Lastly, just to blow my theory to smithoreenes; maybe we just had really, really, really good kids and we had nothing to do with it.---That is a distinct possibility...but all four? Ok, to God be the glory. (my kids: if you are reading this...please wait a few more years to screw up...a couple of people might read this.)