Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Judge Not or Judge?

Often people will say that the Bible says not to judge people. These people have not read the Bible. It does tell us to not go around wagging our finger at people. There's an old saying "if you're pointing your finger at a person, then you have four more fingers pointing back at yourself." While that is not a Bible verse, it is pretty close to the biblical principle about not judging others. But the Bible does tell us to judge our selves and test ourselves to make sure we are in the faith (2Cr.13:5). But back to judging others. In 1 Corinthians 5 we're told that it is not our responsibility to judge those that are outside the church. These are people that are not saved, they are not Christians. ---I don't judge these folks at all, because sinners do what sinners do; and sinners will be going where sinners will be going. I am not even judging by using the name sinner. It is what it is. I used to be unsaved, lost, sinner, whatever word you want to use. I love folks that don't know Jesus, and I pray for them to come to saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. But now I've been saved, I've been set free in Christ as a believer! And as a believer, part of my responsibility and your responsibility is to judge those inside the church who are sinning. God will judge those outside the church. Now, I don't go around, nor do I care to go around pointing out people's sins; but I've come to find out that many Christians will blatantly sin in public, and that is where the problem is. So, I'm saying you don't have to go looking; it's right in front of you. For example, when people know that you and your girlfriend are both Christians and you are living together (I use this example for it is not hypothetical, but sadly prevalent in America today) your friends know about it. No one has to point it out. And if people know you claim to be a Christian then you are dragging the name of Christ through the mud. Consequently, why would your lost friends want to come to Christ when they can live like you without Christ. Also, when you come to church (while living this lifestyle) you're bringing unholiness into the church. It hinders the growth of the church. We're not talking about "goof-ups" and "slip-ups", but blatantly living against God's Word. LIFESTYLE. Yeah, I'm going to tell you about it if I know about it; because I'm supposed to. Better yet, your Christian friends have that responsibility as much as the pastor. So, don't chicken out and make the pastor go do it. In fact, that's gossip. If you know about it, go tell them, "Hey, if you say you're a Christian you ought not be doing that (whatever that is). "
Hear my heart. I love people and want to see all come to Christ. I hate it when people that claim to be Christians think they have some kind of deal with God and can live against God's Word. Also, I despise it when people come telling on someone to me. If you're a Christian, it is your responsibility to go to that brother and sister and ask them to step out of the church if they want to live a lifestyle against Christ. 1Cor.5:12,13- It isn't my responsibility to judge outsiders, but it certainly is your responsibility to judge those inside the church who are sinning. God will judge those on the outside; but as the Scriptures say, "You must remove the evil person from among you."---Don't come gossiping to me. Deal with it, and when I see it, I'll deal with it.
The purpose of this should be obvious. Believers are to live in Christ. If they are not living in Christ, then it is confusing to those that are not in Christ yet. It could turn people away from Jesus. Our talk to our brother and sister should be to try to restore them into the fellowship. But we must also protect the holiness of Christ's church. Finally, I know the church isn't perfect on any given Sunday; because it is filled with hypocrites. Yet, our goal is to see the justified become sanctified. Admittedly some cleaning up has to take place. That is a constant. So, be slow to judge, but help a brother out. Call him/her out. Hopefully, they will turn around and thank you later. God bless.