Monday, August 15, 2011

The Real Real World

Something just snapped. I just read an article where two politicians (President&TeaPartier) got into heated discussion and name calling and didn't really have a fruitful discussion. This is the epitome of what has gotten this country into a quagmire. Two sides who believe passionately different things would rather engage in name-calling attempting to discredit the other's right to even have an opinion. Thus, real conversation, which could lead to answers and actually solve critical problems, never takes place. Consequently, our nation is held hostage.---In the real world we have to talk things out. I remember back in my retail sales days, when customer satisfaction was #1; I felt our company went too far. I remember having to give a sure-enough crazy lady a set of mag wheels for free, because the company didn't want to argue with her (she was way wrong, but I submitted to the man). On another occasion, I remember a man coming in mad, because the tire he just bought had blown out. (FYI: tires don't just blow out.) I was polite and calmly inspected the tire and showed the man (who showed his rear-end) the nail that punctured the tire. He said, that it was still my fault. I turned my head, took a deep breath and exhaled. That's what you do in the real world. You can't just call people names and discredit them and not deal with a situation. I asked the man, "Sir, what do you think I should do?" He said he wanted a free tire. The showdown took place in a packed showroom. The man made a real jerk of himself, and I could feel the compassion the other customers had for me "just doing my job." I didn't say a word. (I was torqued, but didn't show it.) As the manager, I knew the buck stopped with me. We weren't calling the home office on this one. I went outside, worked my tension off by doing a little manual labor. I handled it and told him to have a nice day. He looked slightly embarrassed, but still hot. ---Sometimes you have to lose to win in the real world. Honestly, I hoped that guy went to my competitors next time. But I had a packed showroom of customers that would be loyal to me. You see, in the real world we have to deal with stuff. We can't call people names. Washington has totally forgotten who the customer is, and has no idea what customer satisfaction is! I think it would be pretty cool if they used my crappy insurance for a year. In the real world, we pay high premiums, high deductibles and monthly doctor bills. I just wished they would get together and talk about it. Every time, EVERY TIME, I ever had my assistant manager come get me and tell me we had an angry customer at the counter, I had to talk to him/her. Do you know what I did? First of all, I listened. Secondly, I assumed that perhaps it was our fault. Even if I thought it wasn't because we were good at what we did; I always gave the customer the benefit of the doubt. Because if you assume something, well you know how that ends. Anyway, EVERY time, because I had the right attitude (here's the attitude: the cash register belongs to the customer.) I listened, empathized, and asked what it would take to solve their problem. And EVERY time, I dealt with it. You see, I had learned my lesson. If they call the 800Number, I'll be giving them the farm! But, it didn't have to be that way, if I just listened, and helped a brother out. It would pay off in the end. In the real world, we have to live together. We have to get along. ---This whole politician thing is played out. Get in a room, listen to each other. And for goodness' sake use just a little common sense. At this point, the American citizen couldn't give a rip which of you is right or wrong, we need somebody to do something. Do the right thing! Don't worry about getting re-elected...it probably ain't happening anyway! Be the hero, to your customer...the public.